Wednesday, December 30, 2009

twenty ten. resolutions. bring it.

.

I honestly can NOT believe this year is almost over. The older I get (and obviously, more mature I get), the quicker time flies. This year has been a complete roller coaster, but I'm so glad God granted me the ride. (don't worry...the year in review is coming...shortly.)

2009 was the very first year that I seriously maintained and kept most of my New Year's resolutions. I feel very accomplished with this. And it is inspiring me to make some awesome resolutions for twenty ten. For a recap of last year's... read here. In 2009, I ran a marathon. I did it!! Even now, two months later, it is still hard for me to believe that I actually did it. But I did! Twenty ten is going to be a crazy year with the elections and everything, so I don't think I'll get a marathon in this year...but I'm going to run a couple halves. In 2009, Burgess and I officially launched Shortcake for 2! We did a few craft shows, learned a lot, and launched our own Etsy site. (http://shortcakefor2.etsy.com). I think twenty-ten will be even better for us and our little business. But most importantly, I'm so loving the fact that I get to do something I love with my most favorite person in the world (my sister...in case you were wondering). In 2009, I made a career move and I'm loving every minute of it. I left Cincinnati and the horrible memories/experiences that were there and threw myself back into the wonderful world of Indiana politics. I love my fundraising job. I love working for the Chamber. I love being back in Indy.

Anyway...the twenty-ten resolutions are exciting--for me at least. Are you ready for this? Here we go:
#1. Learn how to sew. I got a sewing machine for Christmas and I'm so stoked about this. If you know me, you know I'm a slave to fashion (hello...Vogue and InStyle are literally my moral compass). I'm so excited to be able to make my own clothes, design my own look, and just make awesome wears!! I'm going to tackle the sewing machine this weekend for the first time and make a stellar t-shirt blanket. I literally have hundreds (maybe not that many) of t-shirts from high school (Go Dragons!), travel softball tournaments (Indy Attack baby), and Purdue (Boiler up!). I can't bring myself to get rid of them, so I'm going to sew them up nice in a blanket. Stay tuned for pictures.

#2. Travel more. Adrianne and I are already planning a rad road trip this summer. We're renting a Winnabego and driving to some of the most random places in the US. I'm so excited about this! Don't worry, we will have a video camera to document all of the most random moments of our trip. This is probably the thing I love best about Adrianne--most of my most funny and random memories include her. I love that she's in my life--she's literally one of the best people in the world. And a super friend. We are also planning a trip to some place relaxing after the November elections. I wanna go to Vegas--neither one of us are gamblers, but we are shoppers. And we love laying out by the pool. And we've never been to Vegas. So there you go. Also, my cousin is studying abroad in Hong Kong next fall. I'd love to go visit her...I want to go back to Asia so badly and I would love to spend time with my Katie while doing it!

Which leads me to...

#3. Reconnect with my family. If you know me at all, you know my family (Hicks side..holla) is crazy. Hilarious in a "I can't make this stuff up" kind of way. Do to family drama and circumstances beyond my control, we've all become very disconnected. So I'm taking it upon myself to bridge the gap. Katie and Ali have recently come back into mine and Burgess's lives and it couldn't be sweeter. I have this great vision for twenty-ten: to reunite all the Hicks Girls (there are 8 of us for goodness sake) and all the Hicks baby boys (8 Hicks Girls = 5 "Hicks" baby boys. Seriously. I must be destined for boys...). I pray that the Lord grant me the patience and forgiveness and serenity to accomplish this.

#4. Make a name for myself. This is vague. And I don't really know what it means...but this is just on my heart to do this year. Stand out. Be the woman that God created me to be. I have so many creative ideas in my head...and I know that they were put there for a reason. So I just need to do it. I'm an outspoken individual. It's high-time I made use out of that. I have so many opinions. It's about time I made them known (to people outside of my friends and family). This is just my prayer for twenty-ten...we'll see what God does with it.

What about you?? Any resolutions for this awesome new year?

0 comments