Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Washington DC and Baltimore

.


Yes, I chose to run my very first marathon in Washington DC just because of all the sights. I lovelovelove politics and I lovelovelove this country and I lovelovelove DC. I love the fact that I can go see these monuments and get choked up and feel tons of emotion. I love that these monuments were built in honor of people who loved this country so much that they were willing to make HUGE personal sacrifices for it. I hate that the average American citizen has lost this feeling of pride and patriotism for our homeland. Our motherland. Our country. So DC is a mecca of sorts for me. It feels amazing being so immersed in our culture while you're there. Everywhere you turn, everywhere you look, you are 100% surrounded by American pride. And I absolutely love everything about it. I joke with my sister that DC is her Disneyland. But I think that holds true for me as well. If you cannot have pride in your past, you cannot have pride in your future. You cannot know where you're going until you know where you've been. And that is what I love so very much about DC.

I flew out to Baltimore the Wednesdsay night before my race. Mom and Dad were staying on Fort Meade (thanks to my Dad for being D.O.D. it's a perk.). On Thursday, we took the metro into DC so that I could see some of the sights. Mom's family is from Virginia--some live in Fairfax and very close to the DC area. It had been awhile since I had been a tourist in our Nation's capitol and I was so excited! There were just a few sights I wanted to hit. I had to go see the WWII memorial. My granddaddy was a WWII vet--Battle of the Buldge where he earned his Purple Heart. He passed away last fall and his death is still very fresh. My family is tried and true American soldiers and I love that. Granddaddy was Army. Poppie, my Dad's dad, was Navy. Mom and Dad were both Army. Patriotism isn't an option for us. It's in our blood. And I love it. I have some very vivid memories of my Granddaddy talking about Army stuff. He didn't talk WWII a lot, but he always had a hat on or a pin or something representing his love of this country. I cannot tell you how proud I am that my granddaddy served our country in the war. One of my memories from his funeral was the playing of Taps, and everyone saluting his casket. Or the Army medallions on the corners of it--one of which my Mom kept. So going to the WWII memorial was the first thing I wanted to do. I wanted to see it. I wanted to go to the kiosk and search for my sweet Granddaddy's name. I wanted to read the quotes engraved on the limestone that spoke of a level of patriotism that my generation is quickly forgetting.

From the WWII memorial, I had to see Lincoln. Being a Republican, this is a sight that every elephant-loving, conservative must gaze upon. I also wanted to go to the Capitol. Spending as much time as I did in and around the Indiana legislature, I wanted to go see it on a grander scale.

Dad was (and is) still recovering from his knee replacement surgery in August. So he let me and Mom just go off on our own to see some things while he rested or read a book (or tried to locate a Starbucks for me!).

Walking from the WWII memorial towards Lincoln.



My mom, her cousin Deborah and I golfing. The golf course where we played had some AMAZING views of the monuments from just about every hole. It was a great pre-marathon destresser.


WWII Memorial with Washington in the background.


Since we were staying at Fort Meade, Baltimore was only a hop, skip and a jump away. I had never spent time there and I love exploring new cities. So we went down to the Harbor for the day. I was carbo-loading but also wanted some serious seafood! (I HEART crabcakes!) While we were there, I shopped (shocking!) and then we toured the USS Constellation, which was a ship used during the Civil War for anti-slave trade. I love history and this ship had 4 levels that you could explore. I loved it!


Me and my dad. Love this man.

Me and my mom with the USS Constellation in the background. I love that we are fun travel buddies!

My Granddaddy's picture at the WWII memorial. He was so handsome. (I cried.)

We love selfies!

At the WWII memorial. Gotta represent the Promised Land :)

1 comment

Unknown said...

you're so cute! love these pictures! and i'm so proud of you and your marathon running! :)