Friday, June 24, 2011

fleur de lis forever.

.

A few months back, Dad hopped onto Ancestry.com and started tracing our family's lineage. Seriously, it's so fascinating.

From that, Big Sister Burgess and I decided to do a little research of our own, and we found our family's crest.


(Side note--the top of our crest says "C'est en bon heure" which is French for "All in good time." However, me....with my 8 years of French background (4 of those were at the collegiate level. Duh, you would think I'd be able to read en francais) thought that our family's crest said "Always a good time." Oh my gosh...not one of my finer moments. But I think it's fitting regardless!) :)

For the longest time, Sister and I have been contemplating getting sister tattoos. We each already have one (mine is on my right foot, her's on her back) and have wanted/needed another one. If you haven't noticed by now, my Sister and I are extremely close. We're best friends, confidants, trouble-makers, etc. Getting matching tattoos is something that we've really wanted to do--but we wanted to get something that truly represented both of us. This posed quite a challenge because we are both so very different. Our first idea was to get something with strawberries (long story--but our favorite toys growing up were anything Strawberry Shortcake related.) However, neither one of us were completely sold on getting a strawberry tat on our bodies.

Duh. Tattoos are permenant...in case you were wondering.

So when we stumbled across the Hicks family crest....we knew we had our tattoo idea!!


Fleur de lis!!!!!!!

French has also been a part of our Sister relationship growing up. We both took French in high school and will randomly speak it to each other (our favorite phrase is "Quelle heure est-il?"). Plus, I have a {small} obsession with the city of New Orleans. Sister and I are going to Mardi Gras next February (YEAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've been once...but Sister needs to experience it and we're going to go down and party with all my fantastic NOLA friends!! I can almost taste the beignets and bloody marys now!) If you ever been to the Crescent City, you'll know that the fleur de lis symbol is absolutely everywhere! In fact, the New Orleans Saints logo is the fleur de lis. It's the symbol of French royalty (and the Boy Scouts apparently).

So we decided to get a fleur de lis! Seriously, this was the best idea ever! I'm so obsessed with my tattoo and fleur de lis. Look how great they turned out!!!

Yes, they both hurt! Badly. But they are awesome.

And now The Hicks Girls have adopted the fleur de lis as our official mark! We love it. I'm so glad Big Sister Burgess and I decided to do this. We're sisters by birth...but best friends by choice. And now, tattoo buddies!!






0 comments