Wednesday, January 19, 2011

TMP Week #2: Teacup Candles

.

Apparently, I'm on some sort of candle-kick. Sorry for the candle posts two weeks in a row!

Ok! It's time for TMP (or The Martha Project) Week #2 (I know, I know...I'm a tad late getting this entry posted. Maybe next week I need to make myself a calendar or something so I can remember.... ha!)

Anywho, I decided to try out Martha's Teacup Candles this week. Quite honestly, this was a super easy project and one that I am still amazed at how well it turned out.

Sister and I ran to the local Hob Lob last week while I was up in Lafayette helping her pack (boohoo). The 10lb slab of candle wax is hard to make out in this picture, but there it is. I also opted for two scents: Midnight and Cappuccino. (yum yum) I also purchased some candle wicks and wick holders. Tada!

The next step was to break down this massive slab of wax. I felt a little like I was in a Hitchcock movie with my giant (pink) knife, just hacking away at this wax. But alas, I did it and broke up the wax as best I could.

Ok here's where it got a wee bit tricky. Martha calls for a double boiler to melt your wax. Wellllllll....I do not have a double boiler, nor do I want to spend the money on one. So I improvised. What you see here is water boiling in a pot, with a Pyrex dish just hanging out on top. Oh and I used a slow cooker liner inside the Pyrex dish for easy clean up (thanks Dad for the suggestion...he's so smart!)
The heating went pretty well. It's a slow process. I actually crocheted and watched some NCIS while the wax was a'melting.

After the wax was completely melted (sorry I forgot to take a picture of this part), I squirted in some of the scent and mixed it up.

Then, I *delicately* poured the melted wax into my teacups, empty jars and a Valentine's Day coffee mug (PERFECT for this time of year). I used the paintbrushes to keep the wick from falling into the mass of melted-ness.

After about an hour and a half of cooling (I actually went to the gym during this part), my candles were done and ready to burn!! I LOVE the way they turned out!
The next day, I took my little blonde self over to TJ Maxx on my lunch and found these teacups. They turned out so cute and they are going in my gift closet for when I need a quick little gift! (Unless I burn one of them later!)
Gosh, I love me some Martha Stewart. She is slowly turning my apartment into a haven of awesomeness! :)
Side note--a little bit of melted wax goes a long way. I made 6 candles and probably only used about 2 pounds of the 10 pound slab. Looks like I have more candle making in my future.
Oh and I am making Week #3 tonight--and it's of the food variety. No more candles!! (for now)

1 comment

Pam said...

Thrilled to be the recipient of a beautiful tea cup candle...thank you Kelby!