Tuesday, September 27, 2011

30for30: September book selections

.


#12 on the 30for30 list is to read a new book every month. Honestly, I'm totes excited about this challenge...and I am pretty certain that I'll read more than 12 books this year.

Why do I think that? Well, September isn't even over yet and I've read two books and am almost done with my third and fourth (yes, I have reading ADD...I can't read one book at a time. Wait a sec...that applies to most things in my life. Anyway, I digress.)

The first book up was "Heaven is for Real" by Todd Burpo. Uh. This book was simply astonishing. Amazing. Incredible. Fantastic. Eye-opening. Life-changing. Awe-inspiring. Tear-jerking. Super.  
Honestly, I can't even begin to tell you how much this book impacted me. So much so that my friend Caitlin and I have decided to do this as a study with our high school girls (juniors) Bible study.
side note--yes. apparently parents do trust me to mold their children and lead them in a Bible study. I'm still shocked at this. Humbled by it actually.

As a Christian, I fully believe in the existence of Heaven and Hell. And I have been taught enough to know that I sincerely want to go to Heaven. But that's about as far as my knowledge goes. After reading this book...I simply CANNOT wait to get to Heaven. To see my sweet GG again. To hold her hand and walk with her and talk to her about everything. To say "What's up?" to Gabriel as I walk down the crystal path. To hug and squeeze those in my family that I never met but I know are waiting for me up in Heaven. To chit-chat with Rahab and Joseph (my two favorite Bible characters). To worship my sweet Lord with the angels of the utmost highest. To touch Jesus's hands and see where the nails went it...for me and my sins.

I don't know about you...but that sounds like paradise.
Lord. Come quickly.

The next book this month was "A Stolen Life" by Jaycee Dugard.
Uh. What.

Not sure if I would recommend this book simply because it is disturbing at best and shameful/disgusting/mind-blowing at worst. Seriously. It's graphic in some instances.

But I know it's Jaycee's story. True. Disgusting but true.
Come back to see what I've been reading in October...hint. I love George Bush. :)

1 comment

Unknown said...

I've heard awesome things about Heaven is for real! I'm not a book reader, but this is one I would LOVE to read!