Wednesday, October 5, 2011

30for30: recipe #3: apple dumplings.

.


(I apologize in advance for the fact that I forgot to post this last week. So you're getting recipe #3 and recipe #4 today. my bad. oops.)

Well, remember when I went to the apple orchard with Big Sista Burg and her rugrats? Yeah, I had 5 pounds of apples that needed to be used up. And since I have some kind of super duper weird texture eating thing...I'm not about to eat me some raw apples. Soooo, these two recipes are all-about-the-apple (how's that for an alliteration?)!

Apple Dumplings
Ingredients:
2 to 2 1/2 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powerd
1 teaspoon salt (I only used a half of a teaspoon b/c I don't like salt)
3/4 cup shortening
1/2 cup milk
4 to 6 cooking apples, cored, peeled and sliced
approximately 1/2 cup of sugar
cinnamon
nutmeg
butter

Syrup Ingredients:
2 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 cups hot water
1/4 cup margarine melted


Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse meal. Gradually add milk, stirring to make a soft dough (side note--the dough is yummy! I may or may have eaten a ton of it while I was making this. don't judge.) Roll dough into a 1/8 thick rectangle on a light floured surface and cut into 5 inch squares.

Place 3 or 4 pieces of apple on each square. Sprinkle each with 2 teaspoons sugar and a sprinkling cinnamon and nutmeg to taste. Dot with butter. 

Moisten edges of each dumpling with water, bring corners to center, pinching edges to seal. Place dumplings 1 inch apart in a lightly greased shallow baking dish.

Combine 2 cups sugar, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, 2 cups hot water and 1/4 cup butter/margarine. Stir to dissolve sugar. Pour syrup over dumplings.

Bake at 375 degrees for 35 to 45 minutes, or until golden brown.

And voila. Some darn-tootie delish apple dumplings.
NOM.NOM.

1 comment

Unknown said...

These sound amazing!! I love me some sugar and cinnamon on apples!! Thanks for making me drool!! ;)