Friday, October 28, 2011

remembering one of the greats...

.

 On October 16th, the sport of open-wheel racing lost one of its greatest drivers. Dan Wheldon, the current reigning Indianapolis 500 winner, was killed in a horrific 15-car crash in Las Vegas. (If don't believe me in how bad the wreck was, Google it. I can't bring myself to watch it again.)

There is no doubting my love for the Indy Racing League and open-wheel racing. Ever since my Princess reign, I have had a soft spot in my heart for racing. With my continued work in the Princess Program, I've come to know some of the IRL drivers personally and truly feel connected to the sport. Ask any of the drivers...the Indy 500 is one of their favorite races and they spend the entire month of May hanging out in the 317. The Princesses are constantly at the track and get to spend an amazing amout of time with the drivers. We play a small, tiny part in this sport for this race and we love it!


the giant tribute to Dan at Conseco Fieldhouse

Dan's death was incredibly shocking. I felt sick to my stomach once I heard the news. My heart breaks for his wife Susie and his two little boys Oliver and Sebastian. Two boys who will never know their dad and what a fantastic guy he was. Dan was one of the few drivers who really understood what the Princess program was about. He would drop what he was doing to talk to fans and Princesses alike. He will truly be missed in this sport for years to come.

For Dan's memorial service this past Sunday, the Princesses did what we do best...put on our smiles and passed out programs. Talked about what a fabulous guy he was. Interacted with his fans. Told stories. Loved on Dan and his life and legacy.

The memorial services was fantasic. We laughed and cried and were even amazed with Garth Brooks came out to sing "The Dance". 

the flowers from the Princesses. the card read "Dan, you will always be the jewel in our crown." Truer words have never been spoken.
Our Queen Riley Hoffman being interviewed by WTHR-13 about her memories of Dan. He made her month of May incredible!
Dan, we will miss you but your legacy lives on...and will for years and years to come. Rest in Pease Danny Boy.

0 comments